Ghanaian club wins Gothia Puma Trophy in Sweden


Two fan favourites took to the field to clash in the final of the Boys’ Gothia Puma Trophy where Ghana’s Right to Dream and Nigeria’s TikiTaka Academy played each other for the first time since the final two years ago where Right to Dream became victorious.

“Words can’t describe how I feel right now”, says Fuseini, scorer of the winning penalty.

The crowd was streaming into Gamla Ullevi before the game to watch the highly anticipated clash and the thousands in the stands weren’t disappointed. The game started out in a very high tempo with Right to Dream testing the goalkeeper after just two minutes, but the keeper Emmanuel Ogura pulled off a brilliant save.

The chances kept coming. TikiTaka Academy used the right flank frequently, finding a lot of space, but couldn’t find the end product. Right to Dream looked dangerous aswell and was closest to score during the early stages when they hit the post from a free-kick. After 20 minutes it was surprising that the score was still 0-0.

But just before half-time the deadlock was broken. After a cross from the right side TikiTaka Academy’s goalkeeper spilled the ball, which could be put into the empty net by the left winger Adingra Simon.

The second half continued where the first ended. With free-flowing football and chances for both teams. In the 42th minute TikiTaka Academy came close to equalising when a header from the penalty spot went just outside the post. A few minutes later Right to Dream hit them on the break and the striker was one-on-one against the keeper, but Edijana the goalkeeper in TikiTaka Academy made up for his first half mistake with a great save.

The teams continued to trade chances. TikiTaka Academy once again came close to equalising in the 48th minute, when a brilliant volley shot from the edge of the box once again was matched by a just as impressive save. But just after 50 minutes the equaliser came. When Trek Anthony Stephen knocked in a rebound from close range. Ten minutes to go and it was all square.

With just two minutes left Right to Dream almost got the decider. A close-range header from a corner was swatted away by the keeper. But when the referee blew the final whistle the score was still 1-1, the game would be decided on penalties.

The first two penalties were missed. But TikiTaka Academy scored their second. A secure penalty from Njario Dorgeles equalised the scoring. Then both teams missed once again. The nerves obviously high among the players. The pattern continued, with both teams scoring in the following round. A goal or a save from either team could now decide it. With a fantastic save the goalkeeper made sure that it was in the hands of Right to Dream, leaving it up to Fuseini Mohammed Gasafi to be able to score the deciding goal. Which he did, emphatically.

“I was pretty nervous. But I have scored the winning penalty before so that helped”, says Fuseini about walking up to take the last penalty.  

The winning goal led to ecstasy among the Right to Dream players, acrobatically celebrating in front of the almost 7000 in the stands. When asked about the support Fuseini says:

“They’re amazing. I have been here two times now and it’s very special.